Re: order of successes

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:35:27 -0800

> What exactly is the order of successes when bumping?
> In particular, do marginal and minor successes count
> as separate levels?
>
> To be perfectly clear, could someone please complete
> these examples for me:
>
> 1) We roll a tie, where am I after one bump? after
> two bumps?
>
> 2) I roll a marginal success, where am I after one
> bump? after two bumps?

Bumps do not affect Victory Level, they affect Degree of Success - a minor point, but significant.

Degree of Success is the outcome of the die roll - Fumble, Failure, Success, Critical
Victory (or Defeat) Level is the comparison of the DoS to the appropriate table - Marginal, Minor, Major, Complete

Rolling rules:
First you roll the die. If you roll "1" it's a critical success, 2 to (your Target Number) is a success, (TN+1) to 19 is a failure, and 20 is a fumble. (rules for TN 1 and 20 exist)

Bumps take a Fumble to Failure, Failure to Success, and Success to Critical Success. (There are things that can do Bump Downs, but none are shown in the first set of books)

*Then* you check your Degree of Success against the appropriate table to determine the Victory Level (Marginal, Minor, Major, Complete). In an Ability Test the roll directly equates to the Victory Level, but in Simple and Extended contests, you have to compare your roll result against your opponent's to get the final result.

Hope this helps.
RR