Re: HW combat

From: Steven White <fringe_worthy_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:02:35 -0800

david dunham <davi-_at_...> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/hw-rules/?start=450

> Huh? The 2w succeeds on all rolls but 20 (which is bumped from fumble
> to failure), and criticals on 1 or 2.
>
> And if there were 2-3 more masteries involved, his opponent would be
> squashed like a bug under Gonn Orta's foot.
>
> Are you forgetting the special rule about masteries where both roll a
> failure?

I don't think so. The 2w fellow is having his mastery cancelled by the opponents 10w3.

I was giving 10w3 vs 2w and 10w3 vs 20 as an example, which according to the cancelled masteries rule, turns into 10w2 vs 2 and 10w3 vs 20. The special rule for the same number of masteries doesn't get involved, since it's 3 vs 1 and 3 vs 0 masteries. As well, because of bumps, the high skill fellow never fails anyways.

And I don't disagree about the 2w person getting squashed like a bug. It's just that the 20 fellow (Even less skilled) seems to get squashed slower than the 2w fellow.

Ie:

10w3 vs 2w: By cancelling masteries: 10w2 vs 2  10w: A 1..19 roll gets bumped to a crit success (2 bumps) (95%)  2: a 3..19 roll is a failure. (85%)
 Therefore the 2w fellow tends to get major defeats. (80% it's crit vs fail)

10w3 vs 20: No masteries cancelled.
 10w3: A 1..20 roll gets bumped to a crit success. (3 bumps) (100%)  20: a 2..19 roll is a success. (90%)
Therefore the 20 fellow tends to get minor defeats. (90% it's crit vs succ)

Now, the 2w fellow does have a 0.5% chance (roll 1 (crit)or 2(success), and the foe rolls 20) of winning one round of a contest, and I'm ignoring  a couple of other less frequent combinations.

Steven White