But how does it WORK?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:52:17 -0800

Hi all
Like everyone else, I have no patience, and want all the rules NOW... However, I'll limit my following questions to the 3 chapters on the Issaries website, plus stuff I've read here... I have to say, so far I find the HW rules depressingly vague... some will say 'adaptable'.
  1. I assume from various bits that each hero has, in combat, some attack Edge (from weapons, Strong, magic, etc)and defence Edge (armour, shields, Tough, magic, etc). Right? But, with stuff like Tough, Strong, and various magics where the Edge is rolled for, not fixed, do you roll each exchange, or just once at the start of an extended conflict? Please don't say 'it depends', it's vague enough as it is. a> Speaking of Edge, do you always add the 'winner's' attack Edge and the 'loser's' defence? What if you are bidding, but you lose? Do you still add his attack, subtract your defence? Or do you only add your attack when you bid, and just lose all the AP if you bid & lose? What about Transfers? i} Mystic Strikes. OK, so I haven't seen the rules for magic, but the rules sysnopsis does include the basic description for strikes. So, from that, would I be right in assuming the target always resists with his full ability? It being just a Simple Contest, do the target's AP recover between attacks? Otherwise after one successful attack (with the target number added as Edge) the target will probably be defenceless! I] I ran some test combats. First a Big, Tough, Strong, Minotaur against a good, but normal, human warrior. Over in 3 exchanges. Next a started character hero against the poor warrior. Took quite some time, but the hero won. Now, the time taken was fine, the big guy won FAST, as he had extra Edge, and more to bid, so the warrior lost AP in a big way. But there were only 3 wounds inflicted (one on the Minotaur!), while in Hero vs. Warrior there were 6-8 wounds! Only 1 wound per exchange, right? That doesn't sound right, the Minotaur should have minced the guy! Just driving him to 0 AP doesn't sound too violent... Opinions?

Lastly, is this list supposed to send me messages by e-mail? It isn't doing so. Can anyone tell me how to change that?

Thanks
Wulf