Re: negative skills and interpreting skills

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:44:07 +0000

writes
>I'm curious as to how would you treat a skill such as "tiny 14w"?
>could it be used as a defense against an attack (in the sense
>tiny=harder to hit)? What about an alternative interpretation that
>tiny=easier to kill? I suppose this would be up to the Narrator, but
>what if it was 2 pc's against each other? The attacker states that the
>defender's tiny should work against the defender, the defender (quite
>naturally) declares it's an advantage?
>
>I'd just be interested in hearing how people would handle this?

Well, firstly don't think of them as just skills. They're traits which can be both skills and other stuff.

Secondly, I'd suggest that Over The Edge handled this the right way. Some traits had both advantages and disadvantages, called upside and downside. In this the upside is that the character is harder to hit. The downside is that he is easier to kill. I'd do it by adding something to the outcome table in combat so that he is more likely to be seriously wounded or killed if defeated.

--
Michael Cule