Re: negative skills and interpreting skills

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 23:43:02 -0800

Wulf asked

> 1) I assume from various bits that each hero has, in combat, some
> attack Edge (from weapons, Strong, magic, etc)and defence Edge (armour,
> shields, Tough, magic, etc). Right? But, with stuff like Tough, Strong,
> and various magics where the Edge is rolled for, not fixed, do you roll
> each exchange, or just once at the start of an extended conflict?

Most heroes don't have edges (at least in our games -- and I'll probably continue to ignore weapon and armor rules unless it seems to make dramatic sense to pay attention). In any case, they are never rolled, but rather added to the stakes when you win an exchange.

Steve asked

> I'm curious as to how would you treat a skill such as "tiny 14w"?
> could it be used as a defense against an attack (in the sense
> tiny=harder to hit)? What about an alternative interpretation that
> tiny=easier to kill? I suppose this would be up to the Narrator, but
> what if it was 2 pc's against each other? The attacker states that the
> defender's tiny should work against the defender, the defender (quite
> naturally) declares it's an advantage?

It would depend on the context, of course, but if two characters were fighting, I would indeed let someone defend with their tiny. It would *not* make them easier to kill -- APs are relative advantage, and being small and nimble is an advantage.

This ability could also be used to avoid getting stuck in a cave, or to hide.

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.