Re: Does size really matter?

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:23:22 -0800

> I think we're working with fundamentally different ideas of 'Big'...
> While I'll agree that Conan (or anyway Arnie) is Impressive or
> Intimidating, I wouldn't allow 'Big' for anything within human size
> limits - in RQ3 terms, nothing below SIZ 20 or even 25. Likewise
'Tiny'
> means nothing above SIZ 5 (sorry, Andy, your Praxian doesn't quite cut
> it). I was thinking of Giants, Minotaurs, etc.

The great part is though, in the sense that some skills have a "second side" effect that might be less than positive is a mechanism to prevent rules lawyering powergamers like me from leveraging the game system excessively.
Let's say a player picks big 18-we're talking about pretty big. Well, when he or she walks into town, you might check the reaction of the townsfolk to this monstrous intimidating fellow - i.e. if he wins a simple contest vs. "accepting of strangers 3" (I grew up in a small town - it's not an exaggeration) then they will all be thoroughly intimidated and resentful, trying their best to get him on his way.