Re: AP's and switching in combat

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 23:19:06 -0800

in re: switching skills in combat for munchkin reasons, I've snipped Andrew's post, as I basically think it's good and I have nothing to add.

But what about changing skills for good and valid reasons? Even when you switch the player bidding, this may happen, and not just for ruleslawyering. I'm still not real sure of when you get to reset AP's and when not (and why).

I started writing the example, then I stumbled on a gap in my knowledge (not terribly uncommon, I'm afraid).
Dark Troll is ticked at Oscar and declares an attack with Maul 18w2. Oscar fortuitously knows Dark Trollish Scathing Rebuke at 15w, so decides with Narrator's ok to use it as a defense. I think that would be reasonable.
So the troll starts at 58 ap, Oscar 35, yes? Troll bids, dice rolled, results applied (say they both lose 5 for some reason). New AP totals are 52 and 30.
If Oscar wants to pursue this, MUST he use Scathing Rebuke for his attack? What if he wanted to use Pencil Stab 19? In the next exchange, would he attack with the 19 skill, and how many AP? Does he get to start with 30 ap since his starting AP amount was that? What if DT defends with Impervious Skin 8w3? Is he stuck with the AP total from his attack skill, or does he get to reset? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just tried to sit down and run a combat, and didn't get far.

Thanks!

I'm going to go read the text again, and see if I must have missed it, but if someone can briefly restate the obvious for me, I'd appreciate it.