Re: Sorry, I'm missing something.

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:14:16 -0500

"M.Dawson" wrote:

> So I ran my first real session last night (synopsis online soon) and
> I'm still confused about some parts of AP bidding. Either I
> misunderstand how bids and losses work, or I don't understand the
> strategy.
>
> Do I understand correctly that:
>
> The amount you risk is based on the amount you bid? (Bidding 10 with a
> 1x loss result means you lose 10)
>
> This goes for losses AND transfers?

Yes. Seems straightforward to me.

> If so, why would anyone ever bid more than 1? Bidding 20 only offers
> you the chance to lose 20, not to take 20 from your opponent.

Wrong. If you bid 20, you can transfer 20 (or 60!) from your oppnent. And vice versa, of course.

And if your opponents bid is x, you automatcially match his bid on HIS action. Just as he matches you on YOUR action.

> Might it be possible for someone to post a description of play that
> includes "statements of intent", bids, rolls and results?
>
> That would be a huge help.
>
> On an unrelated issue, how does someone determine the base Close Combat
> and Missle Combat value in charactger generation? The posted chapters
> don't mention anything about it. And what are the /# ratings in the
> combat section of Kallai's online character sheet?

I use it as being the best value of any combat skills given in the keyword.

Since a Hoeortling Warrior could have a 5W, 1W (if he uses his three 'good' skills here which is likely), or 17 (which is the keyword default level) Sword and Shield Fighting, that gives him the equivalent Close Combat. Since he also gets Spear and Shield for being a Heortling, I give him that at the previously determined value.

Seems pretty straightforward. Hunters would do similarly with their Ranged Combat skill -- depending on the ranged weapon they get.

Jeff Kyer