why talk about the rules?

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:46:48 +0100

From: Robin D. Laws [mailto:rdl_at_...]

>The worst thing HW
>advocates can do for the product line is, through excessive zeal,
>antagonize folks with different tastes. That'll just give it bad
>word of mouth and thereby discourage people from buying the books
>to convert to systems more to their taste.

I would just like to add that IMO all the most successfull RPG systems have had plenty of 'optional' and 'house' rules written up about them (published in fanzines, often published with the system itself). I think this is a very important step to broaden game's appeal.

Of course optional rules can dilute a system so much so that it loses its core message. That would be a shame, but it will only happen if HW becomes immensely successful. Till then I think a good *small* set of optional rules will open the game up to non-HW-purists and, IMO, could make a 4 or 5 times increase in the number of people willing to take it on.

Richard