Re: Random questions

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:46:29 +0200

KYER, JEFFREY
> A good example of this is the gifting at the end of the "Thule" scenario
> in RuneQuest Vikings.

        IMO the most useful RPG supplement I've seen so far (and I have seen quite a few of them). Oops... wrong game! ;)

> > The introductory scenarios usually interpret
> situational modifiers as
> > edges, frex the dog-men of the first scenario have a +6 edge to
> flee in the
> > woods. Why don't use the standard bonus and penalties to the skill?
>
> This is for an extended contest, rather than a contested one. The Edge
> works because its *situational* rather than something generated by an
> augment or a feat.

        So you mean that for an extended contest, situations give edges (or handicaps) while for simple contests they would give modifiers? Then why several opponents give a modifier even in an extended contest, and not an edge?

        I fear that the difference between a modifier and an edge in an extended contest is not quite clear, at least for me. Not from the POV of statistical trivia, mind you, but from the narrative's one.

> > Let's say that a character has a "shy with women"
> ability (as a personality
> > trait), but tries to seduce one. I could give him a negative edge whose
> > resistance is equal to or lesser than his trait (if the trait is 12 then
> > a -4 edge) or, allowing for the women's personality, choose an
> edge and then
>
> A negative edge is called a handicap...

        Yes, of course. The synopsis (which was close at hand) confused me...

> and that's how I'd do it --
> trying to seduce the lady would be much more difficult in that he would
> have to bid more (and gain less) according to his handicap -- this would
> be different than a 'negative augment' provided by a "flaw" kinda of
> skill.

        I don't understand: you'd do it dicelessly (choosing a handicap commensurate with the ability) or rolling for an edge to the opposer ability?

> Not sure my answers are helpful but they are answers. Kinda. Sorta.

        The best kind of answers: those that spring new questions! ;)

	Cheers,
	A looping Alex.