Contests' end?

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:46:35 +0200

Bruce Ferrie:

> One thing that makes me uncertain is that it seems most likely to
> me in combat
> that the loser will often only end up on Dazed or Hurt, thus
> starting another
> extended contest with little difference from the first one. It
> could go on for
> ages, unless I'm missing something obvious.
> I do know about the Parting Shot, but if you don't succeed, the
> victim doesn't
> lose any more APs.

        I think this depends on the player's willingness to properly play his character. After all if you are to negative AP you have been beaten: maybe you are lying on the ground, out of breath, stunned and your foe is gloating over you, then decides you don't deserve to die by his hands and nails you to a tree, leaving you to the vultures...

        The point is that you have been defeated, and even if you don't suffer lasting consequences you can't just get up and start again. But after a little time, and maybe a few appropriate ability rolls (on the part of your friends?), you shake off the after-effect and prepare to continue. Perhaps going to zero or less AP should - in combat at least - always results in unconsciousness.

        The more I play Hero Wars, the more it seems to me the perfect engine for manga and anime RPGs. And I am playing too much these weeks.

	Cheers,
	An over-playing Alex.