Re: Starting a new contest

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:40:07 +0100

> I'd say, let Oscar roll as a quick contest, giving the troll a resistance
>of 6. Assuming it loses, the troll now suffers all the penalties for doing
>so, which are... uh... well, actually it doesn't appear to care, so the
>defeat has absolutely no effect on it (a bit like casting 'Turn Rock Grey' on
>a rock which is already grey... pretty easy, but a tad pointless). Now the
>troll can begin a new contest of 'Whack Puny Human'. As the objective is
>different, this is a wholly separate contest, and all APs reset.

To be absolutely fair, I'd play this slightly differently.

"Oscar, old son roll away. Did you get a critical ...uhhh, I'm sorry a Big Success? No? The Troll didn't fumbl.... Sorry again Big Fail his resistance. So the whole thing has no effect and he swings his club at your head."

I'd say Oscar has to have some chance to come out of it as The Man Who Boggled The Great Troll. But not a whole lot.

Mind you this isn't quite what the HW rules say but it's how I'd handle it in actual practice.

--
Michael Cule