Extended contest - Troll vs Oscar

From: karamo_at_...
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:50:25 +0100

Bryan Thexton wrote :
>Very possibly the troll could start with one, then switch. For example, the
troll starts with sense of duty, but realizes
>after a couple of exchanges that this little man is confusing him until he
doesn't know what to think (i.e. he is low on
>AP), and decide to switch to using his 5W2 maul skill. The GM may allow the
troll to defend with its maul skill with an
>improv modifier (don't let puny human talk!), and certainly he will attack
with it. Oscar will have to choose an
>appropriate physical skill to defend with, but may choose to keep attacking
verbally.

My interpretation of the rules is that, in this exemple, I would say that the Troll would first reduce Oscar's AP to 0 in order to win its sense of duty contest. If it wins, Oscar's only alternative would be to start a different contest , ie a combat one if he wants to pass. On the other hand, if the Troll loses the contest, I would say that Oscar convinced him and the Troll is not worried about the consequencces of letting Oscar passing and let him go.

Would this be a valid way of playing the scene as well ?

Alain.