Re: Starting a new contest

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:29:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Steve Lieb wrote:

> frank rafaelsen <rafae-_at_...> wrote:
> > Even a berserk troll can be convinced to go attacking something else.
> With
> > appropriate penalties of course. But success is still success.
> >
> But an inappropriate skill is an inappropriate skill.

Of course. But first we have to decide what contest we are talking about. The combat contest or the 'do not attack me'/'there are elves behind those trees' contest.

If Oscars stumbes onto a troll that looks mighty angry, and he tries to calm it down, I would rule that he would have a fair chance of convincing the troll not to attack. Success: the troll is willing to listen. What happens after that depens. Failure: New contest; the troll attack. In this _new_ contest rapier wit is _very_ inappropriate.

> DM: "Berserk Troll attacking - what do you do?"
> Player: "Uh, my best skill is "pick wildflower 8w3" so I use my
> stunning skill to pick enough wildflowers to bury him and confuse him."
> DM: "That's just dumb. He thwacks you."

Yes of course. Since the troll has initiated an attack action, pick wildflowers will be a silly defence skill.

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen