Re: A simple AP question

From: Steven White <fringe_worthy_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:25:47 -0800

richard develyn <richard.devely-_at_...> wrote: original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/hw-rules/?start=684
> From: Hibbs, Philip [mailto:philip.hibbs_at_...]
> This 'who goes first' thing seems to be inordinately important, IMO.
> Now WR as a response to Maul is as appropriate as Maul is a response
to WR
> (IMO, or, at least, let's say so for the sake of argument),so whoever
gets
> to go first will force the other chap to take on the improv penalty, a
> penalty which could totally swing the contest.
>
> So it seems (rather too) important to go first.
>
> Or .... am I missing something.

I think the issue is partly that, unlike D&D and RQ, which could be considered simulators(See Baldur's gate. D&D has enough rules you can almost watch the computer play your fight.. :), HeroWars in like Live Action Vampire. You use the rules to handle conflicts that get brought up by your roleplaying.

It's the character's job to try to arrange things such that they can use
their best skills, but fate oft prevents that.... Unless they LIKE going outlaw because of kinslaying...

It's sort of like having the D&D game when we were young punks and our wizard Psycho compensates for his low skill in law by starting off his defense with a fireball, and concluding by using chain lightning on the jury. Sure it's his best skill... Either he won't be invited back to town, or there will be no town left.

Steven White