Re: Who is starting the fight?

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:48:36 -0500

At 08:56 AM 03/29/2000 -0500, Trotsky wrote:
>Petsku Koo:
><<1.when battle starts how do you determine the first strike??>>
>
> Whoever is doing the attacking. Usually this is obvious, but in cases
>where it isn't (say in a duel, where both participants are supposed to attack
>each other simultaneously on a given signal) I'd use a quick contest of Quick
>Reactions or some such to determine who gets to be the actor first.

Order of action in a group extended contest is decided by current AP (highest current AP goes first and so on until lowest AP goes last). Because of this, I would rule that when two contestants "attack" simultaneously, the one with the higher starting AP total goes first. (Since, they then alternate exchanges, current AP doesn't matter after the first exchange.) One of the advantages of this is that I have eliminated an initiative roll.

If one person "attacks" another in what will become an extended contest, then that person has initiated the contest and goes first.

Roderick: Is there any official ruling on the use of AP totals to determine initiative in two-participant extended contests? (This was going to be on my FAQ suggestion list anyway.)

Thanks,
Andy