RE: rules of the road

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 15:36:22 +0100

> If MGF is not common to the Usenet community, it
> shouldn't be used. If it is, then I stand corrected and
> it is okay to use MGF in a Usenet forum.

TLAs aren't just a Usenet phenomenon. There is a subset that is specific to Usenet, or more recently 'the net' in general, but there are many TLAs (and ETLAs) that are common usage in other communities. When these communities have newsgroups or mailing lists, it's only right that both sets are valid. MGF is a common TLA in the Gloranthan community, so it's fair to use it in this forum. Anyone that hasn't come across it can easily (and should!) find out what it means.

BTW, TLA=Three Letter Acronym, ETLA=Extended Three Letter Acronym

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.