Re: Big

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:17:54 EDT

In a message dated 4/5/00 8:14:44 GMT Daylight Time, hw-rules_at_egroups.com writes:

<< If I understand correctly, it means that a human will be between Large 12
and Small 8 >>

     There isn't a size range quoted, but those seem not unreasonable figures.

<< The "largest" small creature is Small 6 and the "smallest" large creature
is Large 6 ?>>

     The largest small creature and smallest large creature would be the same size, i.e. have both Large 6 and Small 6.

<< If I want a small horse, but not as small as a pony, do I have to use the
term Large but not Small (which is reserved for creatures smaller than human), such as Horse Large 4W ? A bit unusual as you want to focus one the small aspect of the animal ! >>

    You've got two choices (aside from making up your own rules, obviously). Firstly, you could say the horse has Large 4W, since it is, after all, pretty large compared with a human, and more often than not, humans are the sort of thing you're going to want to describe it relative to.

    Alternatively, you could create a new ability (say Little, Bijou or Petite, or perhaps Small-For-A-Horse) and give it that at a rating you feel is appropriate. Of course, then, if you *do* want to compare it with a human your calculations might get a little more complex, but that's your prerogative.

    I'd do the first myself, but the rules don't force you into it. We just needed a few 'universal' stats in AR so that you could compare like with like when reading it. If I'd just given everything average size (because the average member of a given species is going to be the average size for that species) then what would that tell you? And why not add average strength, speed, combat ability and so on - you'd end up with no stats for anything. But the stats in AR are for the purposes of AR only; if you want something different for PCs, or for your PCs horses/hunting eagles/pet cats, then the rules still allow this.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky