Re: HW vs Champions

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 14:29:56 -0400

Guy Hoyle wrote:

> Hey gang,
>
> The group I game with most regularly is very much into Champions and the
> Hero System. One thing that will probably not go well with them is the idea
> that you don't get "points" back for taking Flaws. Can anybody explain to
> me why the designers decided to do it this way? I'd like to be able to
> anticipate my group's inevitable objections.
>
> Guy
>
> "It's all fun and games until somebody gets frozen in a block of
> carbonite..."

Flaws give the player at least an idea of where the trouble is going to come from. Narators aresupposed to use your Flaws first and then, THEN, use soemthing else.

Also, some flaws are inflicted on your character through your actions. You know, stuff like feuds, enemies, failed heroquests. Stuff like that. You don't get points for that, sorry.

And far too many games have players abusing flaws to death to the detriment of the game. A sortof quote from a game I recall:

"Can I have a one legged, blind, albino sociopath?
"Sure, but you don't get any points for it.  You'll have to rollplay it.
"Awww.

Jeff