Re: Big

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:36:29 EDT

Wulf:

<< > All abilities have a modal average of 6, since any given person is
>unlikely to have them. Certainly I would agree that Ugly and Beautiful
should
>have the same relationship to each other as Large and Small. The others are
>trickier, because its difficult to see what a Weak or Clumsy ability could
>actually *do* in HW ('get out of work by claiming feebleness' perhaps?).
But
>in principle, yes, the same would apply.
 Well, a lot of players seem to forget things like this when faced with stuff like dragging away fallen comrades (ever actually tried to drag a man in armour? Even a mail shirt?) or run after someone over uneven ground, say a log over a stream. With most game systems, you have a Strength and Agility/Dexterity stat.>>

     Yes, but HW doesn't, and I assume that's what we're working from. Whether or not HW would have been better with such attributes is a wholly separate debate (or have I missed your point?)

<< However, if you fail your Strong 6 roll, you still haven't picked anything up, unless 'it' fumbled it's Heavy roll. An average human should have an average chance to lift an
 under-average human, but here you've got a 70% chance of failing, which the weight of the other person cannot change (except for a 5% fumble chance) for the better, but has a fair chance to make worse! >>

     That's what the HW rules say, though - 6 *is* the modal average (though obviously not the mean). If the odds don't look to come out right, then apply a modifier to the roll. Or add Strong 13 to a 'Human Keyword'; just because there isn't a species keyword for humans in the rulebook doesn't mean you can't create one.

<< >Also remember that you might
>be able to use other abilities to lift things, with an appropriate improv
>modifier - e.g. tough, strong-willed, perhaps even a strength-related
skill
>like 'blacksmith' (with quite a *large* modifier in that last case, I'll
>grant you).

 Not that large, I know a few weaponsmiths (for reenactment weapons)...>>

    Ah, but then they probably have the actual Strong ability as well as Blacksmith ;-)

Trotsky