Re: Moon Magic Madness

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 17:54:02 -0700

> Hear, hear! (And there's no rule #1 to stop me! HA HA HA HA HA HA!!)

and Poo to you!

> Philip Hibbs:
>
> <<The moon's power is a bit wild and uncontrolled outside of the glowline.
> Sometimes it's a benefit, sometimes it's a hindrance.>>
>
> A benefit compared with being permanently full? Pull the other one...
;-)

When did the Lunars ever have the benefit of the Full Moon all the time? Before Yara Aranis built the Glowline, the entire empire had the "benefit" of variable magic.

If your example is from the Dragon Pass boardgame, the units with cyclical Magic Factors are whole regiments of magicians. Wanna bet that the senior levels know their cult secret? So when inside the Glowline of course they get the full effect of the Cycle.

Yes, in Various RQ products, it says that inside the Glowline the moon is always full (which we know to be false), and that all magic acts as under a full moon (Golly, Greg changed his mind. What a shock! He's never done that before! Horror! Panic in the streets!)

I'll tell you, from an Outside-Glorantha Pure-Rules viewpoint, it is a hell of a lot easier to tell players that their abilities act as normal, as opposed to acting at 1.5x ("Well, yes, your ability is 16, but it's really 24 because you're inside the Glowline..." If the game never leaves the empire, then the paperwork is a bit nuts:" okay, you spend a hero point and gain 1.5 in your ability...")

 <<If you don't like it, it's easy enough to change >>

> Oh yes, easy-peasy. But it would be nice if the rules got the
> description of Gloranthan magic right in the first place. Hardly a
disaster,
> but a minor irritant nonetheless.

It reflects the reality of Glorantha better than RQ.

> Forward the glorious Red Army (assuming we are still red and/or glorious)!
> Trotsky

How about Pinkish and Butch? :-)

RR