RE: Setting the Mood

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:22:25 +0100

Guy wrote:

> I think that, when I get around to running a HW campaign, I'll sit down
with
> my players and hand around copies of some of the Gloranthan songs written
by
> Nick Brooke and others. "And the Band Played 'Dance of the Goddess'" is a
> good one for Lunars (we already like the song this was based on), and the
> humorous song about Beat-Pot and Jar-eel would be a good, humorous look at
> couple of heroes as well; where can I find the latter song?

"The Ballad of Beat-Pot Aelwrin" is on my website under "Folk Tales": bizarrely enough, I regard it as a literary work and not a bastardised musical composition. Probably because I don't yet know the tune for sure. The Battle Hymn of the Republic, the Man who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo, and the Yellow Rose of Texas all blend together in my brain when I read it...

        http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/Folktale/aelwrin.htm

> "Only the Rivers Run Free" and "Raise the Tribes for Starbrow" (John
Hughes?)
> would be good Sartarite ones.

I can't speak for the first as I don't know the tune (or anyone else who does). The second song is on my site, along with "The Day the Fire Died" (Maurice Beyke), "Sartar the Brave" (Jane Williams) and "The Wyrm Tangled Banner" (Nick Brooke), all of which I'd recommend as well.

BTW, thanks for the mention, Guy. That's what the songs are for! Check out Jane Williams' collection as well, while you're about it.

Cheers, Nick