Re: one off feats like shield smashing.

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:23:49 -0700

> Sorry for submitting what is probably a stupid
> question.
>
> Using a feat like the shield smashing feat: If your
> opponent is using a passive defence (like the natural
> 14 defence against magic) what happens if you fail?.

You lose APs. The Narrator says "uh-oh, you slip as you try to [slam your shield into him/break his shield] and now you're at a disadvantage"

> Do you smash your own shield? (or anything of similar
> consequence). I take it from a previous post (I can't
> remember which one) that this sort of feat is a
> one-off and doesnt use APs.

Depends on the narrator and player's interpretation, but if it is done in the middle of an extended contest, it should use APs. A big win in an exchange (like, say, a Transfer) may be described as smashing your opponent's shield (and thus reducing his armor rating), if the Narrator smiles on you.

> Is the price of failure always an inverted version of
> victory?

No. You can have contests where the participants have two different goals.

Roderick