Re: Moon Magic Madness

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:00:15 EDT

Philip Hibbs:

<< In my defence, I wasn't just talking about the "shimmering curtain" reference in WBRM, but more generally that the whole magic multiplier business. Hero Wars shouldn't be constrained to implementing the same game mechanic as WBRM.>>

      I don't think anybody's suggesting the *mechanic* should be the same, or even have the near-identical effects. But the general principle is 'inside the Glowline Lunar magic is as powerful as it on the day of the full moon outside it'. That's not a rule mechanical description (as defining exactly how much and in what way it was more powerful would be) but a rules-free description of the world which any Gloranthan could say without the slightest problem. Saying that Lunar magic is more powerful for most people on the day of the full moon (unless possessing cult Secrets is really common) when they're *outside* the Glowline is a change, not to the rules, but to the actual description of Glorantha. Its like discovering dark trolls aren't as strong as humans - not a rule artefact, but a change in the setting. And a change in something that has been stated a lot more recently than 25 years ago.

     OK, so its easy to change if you want to, and if you're new to Glorantha you probably won't care anyway. So its hardly a disastrous mistake, IMO - but it's still a mistake.

Forward the glorious Red Army
Trotsky