Re: Wesley's Character Generation Page

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:38:05 +1000

NEWBIE PUZZLEMENT Wesley

Thanks very much for your Hero Wars character generation page

Though Dourmainy ain't the sort of guy you'd see very often round my tula, both Pip and I found your page *extremely* helpful, lucid and clear.

I'm coming to the systems side of HW cold, working from the drafts, and I have to admit I've found it *very* tough going trying to grasp the system and the way it's explained. Having your page in front of us when we struggled through our first character generation would have easily cut the time we took by half. If anything, I'd suggest even *more* very basic comments. Generating our first characters, the things that puzzled us were whether we added skills if we encountered them twice, how much of a magic package you had at beginning and whether you chose broad combat/magic classes or specialities. Your example answered two of those questions quickly and painlessly!

If folk have written up similar examples of character generation, please share them. I'd love to see a few more familiar types generated this way: perhaps a humakti or other Heortling barbarian, an animal rider, a Lunar Priestess - character conceptions that former RQers might bring to a game. And at least one list generation - all my players found the descriptive writeups extremely troublesome in their first attempts (though once you know the system a little it becomes intuitive).

We need more basic examples like this if we're gonna hold the newbies! I hope the official site /FAQ has several.

John
(proud to be a HW newbie)

nysalor_at_... John Hughes
johnp.hughes_at_...

There was a muddy centre before we breathed. There was a myth before the myth began,
Venerable and articulate and complete.
>From this the poem springs: that we live in a place
that is not our own, and much more, not ourselves. And hard it is in spite of blazoned days.