Re: Re: Hero Cults

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:00:07 -0400

> You are only permitted to join a hero cult or the like if you are a
> devotee of the god concerned. The time requirement is the extra time required
> to be a devotee over and above an initiate. Also, while it is possible to be
> an initiate of two closely related cults, a devotee must belong to one cult
> only (of course, he still counts as a worshipper/lay member of all the other
> cults in his pantheon).
>
> Trotsky

Actually, I was under the impression that initiates can sometimes join subcults. But herocults might differ?

Here is the relevant passage from Theist Magic that I have (my copy could be obsolete!)

Subcults are normal in cultures which practice initiation, and both initiates and devotees may join subcults to learn their magics. Most worshippers in a subcult are there to learn the special magics or skills provided by the cult. A few are truly devoted to the petty god or hero.

The initiate has access to the secrets of the cult, and may learn the affinities of his god. The affinities must almost always be used with the Improvisational Modifiers. Initiates may not learn feats or the Great Secret of their god. However, they may join subcults and hero cults of the god to learn their magics, whether feats or affinities. The maximum to which an affinity or the "Initiate of" ability may be raised is 10W2

Again, this could be obslete information, but its the material I am using to write with, so I'd hope it was up to date! ;-&#92;

Jeff Kyer