Re: DOON

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 13:12:14 -0000

Indeed. =) I'm sure there's something like that. "Black Ornithopter Deployment and ROE" is probably a Rokari Inquisition grimoire. Or maybe Loksalm.

> Completely OT (hey, its a holiday), and speaking of ornithopters...
>
> Greg is notorious for not keeping his sources and inspirations pure,
but I
> wonder how many of the rest of us have build on or been inspired by
Frank
> Herbert's Fremen as a template for the Orlanthi.

Not I. The Fremen are just _too_ savage. But I did use them years ago for dwellers in the Wastes who weren't Praxians. The Nargan desert would work too.

> Having read the first Dune trilogy dozens of times in secondary
school, its
> currents still run deep. I can see lots of parallels. And if
'planetary
> ecology'='heroquesting knowledge' and Shaihalud=dragons, the fit
gets even
> better.

One major problem -- the Orlanthi don't worship dragons anymore. =)

Over on this side of the water, I'm busy re-reading Amber and such like to get into the mood for doing courtly intrigue in the West. That and reading up on the Silk Road.

Jeff