Re: Fleeing tounges and hungry dragonsnails

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:47:09 -0000

A hero moves 50 yards in an exchange, 80 yards with movement magic (Hero Wars p. 144). 1AP is equivalent to 6 yards of distance (Hero Wars p. 138).

>From recent experimentation in running a pursuit this is how I would
handle it. Bruce or Benedict can tell you how well they think these ideas worked in play:

First I derive the value of 8-10AP 'of movement' in an exchange (exact number depends on the use of magic as above) from the info above.

Then I would play out the battle with the dragonsnail and count how may rounds it takes the heroes to defeat it. I would then multiply 8- 10 * (number of rounds) to give me an AP bonus.

I then award this AP bonus to the fleeing tounge. The pursuit of the fleeing tounge is then a new contest (of Tounge's Run vs Heroes run or similar). The objective of the contest is to catch the fleeing tounge

If you want to figure out how far away the tounge is for description, ranged weapons, magic, just multiply the quarry's remaining AP by 6.

Frx:

Gundi the Tounge flees while the heroes battle the dragonsnail. It takes the heroes 5 exchanges to defeat the dragonsnail.

Gundi is awarded a 40AP bonus to represent ground covered while the heroes were busy.

The heroes give chase using their Running 17 vs, Gundi's Run 14. Gundi has 54AP chasing heroes 17AP. This equates to 54 * 6 or 324 yards.

Some other points:
Yes, Gundi is slightly furhter away because we add bonus + his skill, not felt to be significant.
Yes against a small number of pursuers Gundi looks likely to get away - good for Gundi.
Yes, if there are a lot of you you can always run someone down no matter what kind of head start they have - never seemed to be a problem in the game - my assumption here is that you can split up and head him off at the pass etc if you have more people. I'm sure that the list members can cause the method to break down in specific circumstances tough that is not the point. No I didn't base the distance on AP difference, because reducing Gundi to 0AP implies his capture not exceeding his AP total.

Anyway hope it helps,

Ian Cooper

I wold guess th