Re: Edges and Handicaps?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:03:37 -0700

> >Not to quibble, but isn't it +12 for a win or -8 for a loss on a 10
> >point stake with a +2 edge? I was under the impression that
> >edges are fully reflexive?
>
> I don't think so.

Basic Edge/handicaps:

"Characters may be given edges in some situations that allow them to press their advantage when they succeed in extended contests. An edge is a number that is added to AP staked in an exchange when the character's opponent must transfer or forfeit AP.

A handicap is the reverse of an edge--it is a number subtracted from the stake when the character's opponent must transfer or forfeit AP. Handicaps may never reduce an AP bid below 1.

Edges and handicaps are added or subtracted to the bid before the bid is multiplied for degree of success."

Phil is correct:
If I have a +2 edge and bid 10, my opponent loses 12 points (as the base bid, before multipliers) when I win, but I only lose 10 (as the base bid, before multipliers).
(note the line "when the *character's opponent* must transfer or forfeit AP" [emphasis mine])

If I have a -2 Handicap and bid 10, my opponent loses 8 points (base) when I win, while I lose 10 points (base) if I lose.

Roderick