A question on enchanting iron...sorry, it's a bit long

From: Briquelet_at_...
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 05:36:44 -0000

Ok, I have a rather strange question, but I'll begin with a little background, first--just in case anyone is interested in what is going on in someone else's HW campaign. In a game I am running, a group of heroes aquired an ancient map to a long overgrown ruin, a place called Riftgate. It was a fair-sized market town that was utterly destroyed during the Dragonkill War. At one end of the ruin, the party discovered an underground complex that had been home and business for a small band of heretical Mostali. (These poor, broken cogs fled the site at the time of the dragon attack, hauling most of their belongings with them, but all were subsequently devoured...) After exploring the maze of tunnels and chambers, the party recovered a good sized bar (30 pounds) of unenchanted iron. Wisely, the PCs also realized that the two blast furnaces the Mostali were employing are highly magical, primarily due to the sacred forge stones within each. (This is strictly my own creation, so do not worry about having missed a roll against your Mostali lore skill..) At the end of this leg of the adventure, the party employed a highly skilled Issaries trader to engage in negotiations on their behalf with the dwarves of Dwarf Run. (Undoubtedly, the Mostali would love to see the return of these powerful artifacts, divine pieces of the great machine...) The dwarves reluctantly agreed to a nice reward for the player characters upon recovery of the two stones (many thanks to that Issaries trader). One player character, a Humakti who ended up with a half share of the iron, asked that the dwarves reward him by smithing the metal he had found into a fine sword. The dwarves grudgingly agreed to do so. Here, after all of this babbling is my question: If the dwarves enchant the iron weapon to give it a keener edge, etc., can it later be enchanted by an another enchant iron feat and have further spells or augmentations added to it? If not, could an enchanter work with the smith to enchant the iron and add the desired augmentation/spells at the time of the blade's creation? Thanks for your feedback in advance, gang.

John

P.S. We really like this game, and my group agrees that we haven't had as much fun gaming since the old days of RQ2!