Re: Heortling Literacy

From: Roland <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:40:10 -0000

Peter Metcalfe:
> IMO the original script is Stone Scratching and that any Lhankor
> Mhy Sage is trained in. When Paper was invented (or papyrus or
> what-have-you), demotic versions of Stone Scratching sprang
> up and these are what are known as Cat and Dog scratchings.

That makes a lot of sense. As a side note, based on the phrasing of "cat scratching" and "dog scratching", I figured they were independent inventions; perhaps they were independently-created demotic versions of "stone scratching"? "Dog scratching" sounds to me like something that comes from an area light on Yinkini, perhaps neighboring the backwater Balazar region...

Mark Galeotti:
> [SNIP] my educated Balazaring Lhankor Mhy sage is contemplating
> developing a variant script for the simple yet beautiful tongue
> of his people. What else to use to chronicle the greatness of
> the Three Citadels, but Pork Scratchings...?

"Chicken scratching" seems more and more attractive...

Roland Volz