Re: Re: Enchanting weapons

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:59:55 +0100 (BST)

Charles wrote:

>> A character with the feat can augment using the sword's ability
>> rating as a bonus (i.e. the sword gives 12 to Truesword Stroke
>> augmentation attempts).

> I do not think this particular point is in line with the other > rules examples

Agreed. The rules examples given are somewhat lacking; the rules themselves are unclear. My suggestion would mean that a magic item which has an ability rating in a feat you already know is useful to you, possibly more so than it would be to someone who lacks that feat.

My suggestion is explicitly modelled on the animist rules "because they're there" -- I assume they aren't thought to be seriously unbalanced (although, as Phil Hibbs has pointed out, there is a risk of Shamanic powers going exponential if you don't keep a lid on the ability ratings of spirits). But given that default magic items are weaker than default spirits, I don't see this as a serious risk.

Cheers, Nick