Re: Need a little help with heroquests

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:15:34 -0000

Just clarifying; Jeff replied to me, replying to John:

>>> 3) Do the mechanics for extended contests apply to all types of >>> tests in a heroquest?

>> No, only to those extended contests where the narrator thinks
>> it's appropriate. HW:RiG p.245 does suggest that it's "likely"
>> to be used, but that's the narrator's call (of course, as always).

> I only do extended challenges when its 'dramatically appropriate'
> or when the players say 'please, can we do this as a dramatic
> contest?'

I had assumed John was asking about the Heroic Consequences Table (and that's what the "it" in my answer relates to).

I'd completely forgotten about the edge you get from carryover; given my track record in whinging about incompatible mechanisms, you'll be unsurprised to hear that I *completely* endorse Jeff's approach (viz. converting this into a straightforward bonus for simple contests on heroquests).

Cheers, Nick