Sub-cults, Hero Cults, Initiation and Devotees...

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 20:10:43 +0100

There does appear to be a certain amount of confusion about how these various aspects interact, so I will ask some specific questions in the hope it helps explain the general rules.

  1. Orlanth, Orlanth Adventurous and Vanganth The Flyer

One of my players has a character who is an Initiate of Orlanth Adventurous and a Devotee of Vanganth. Do people feel that this is the correct way to indicate this? Note that according to the Keywords "Vanganth is a hero cult of Orlanth Adventurous" and "Orlanth Adventurous is the subcult [of Orlanth] devoted to fighting and warriors" and both Orlanth Adventurous and Vanganth The Flyer are listed as "Major Aspects of Orlanth" which are normally chosen by Worshippers of Orlanth.

This gives the character Combat, Movement, Wind and Flight Affinities and the Flight Feats of Vanganth.

(The following questions are mine to test the limits of what is
normal//allowable and not an attempt by the player in question to create a 'superpowered' character)

1a) Can the Character subsequently become a devotee of Orlanth Adventurous?

1b) Can they become an initiate in one of the other Thunder Brothers
(say Hedkoranth?)

1c) How about another aspect of Orlanth?

1d) IIRC it is possible to switch aspects of a Greater God - Say this character decides to settle down having somehow acquired a farm, and wants to switch from worshipping Orlanth Adventurous to Orlanth The Farmer - will this have any affect (or be affected by) his devotion to Vanganth?

1e) Can the player initiate in a cult that is not an aspect of Orlanth
(Bevara, Yinkin)?

2) Ernalda and Eninta

Ernalda the Healer (a major aspect of Ernalda) has the mental skill of Midwife. Eninta, Goddess of Childbirth is listed as a Major Aspect of Ernalda with a single Affinity of Midwife, who is not otherwise detailed.
2a)Is Eninta a Hero Cult of Ernalda the Healer in the same way that Vanganth is of Orlanth Adventurous?

2b) Can these (single affinity) Hero Cults be worshipped without being an initiate of the "parent" aspect?

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_...                      |
| A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds - R.W. Emerson |