Re: fight undead

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:47:06 +0100

> From: "Stephen McGinness" <mcginnesss_at_...>
>In the rulebook there is an example of Rurik fighting and
>switching abilities during a battle with zombies (I think).
>He switched from spear combat (5W) to Fight Undead (17) which
>demonstrated that during the contest the AP totals are
>fixed at the start regardless of which abilities you
>subsequently use.
>
>When I read it I couldn't understand why you'd _want_ to
>switch to a 17 ability from a 5W unless the 17 did something
>special. When I got to reading about the feats there was
>nothing there that said just what would be special. It would
>make more sense to use the Fight Undead to enhance the
>ability already being used...

The main reason for switching abilities is that the resistance might change. In this case the Zombie might have a large close combat value, but i wouldn't let it resist "Fight Undead" with close combat at all. It would use "Resist Magic 17" "Evil zombie Toughness 18" or whatever. I also might impose improv or other penalties

>I was thinking that with Fight Undead that a success might
>provide an edge automatically against undead (but how much?)

Take a look at the elemental advantage rules (the only existang exampl of an automatic edge). I think the edge is 1/4 the ability.

>or that the undead would have to make an ability check
>against their undead affinity or instantly die.

This is a simple contest. I'd sometimes allow simple contests within extended ones*, but generally avoid them. (* normally only when the outcome is different in some important way to the story than the generic effects of combat).

Thom