Re: Re: Style

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:35:30 +0100

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:11:23 -0000, bethexton_at_... wrote:

>> Every player should have *something* to do in the contest,
>and "providing
>> support" is usually considered boring (some people like it). Once
>in a
>> while, however, a breakthrough by the enemy into the "back area"
>where the
>> support heroes are can get exciting.

>Speaking as someone who has often played support or specialized
>characters, I thank you for this advice!

Yup, this comes under my heading of keeping a couple of bad guys around for 'nefarious plans'.

>narrator: "You can see three heavily armed guards in the clearing,
>standing around the <thing we want> which is on the other side."
>players of combat monsters: "Charge!"
>me: "I start sneaking around the clearing while that is going on...."

In our LARP weekend, our faction, playing NPCs supposedly our own militia, we were wiped out to a Drow (don't ask) while attacking the enemy paymaster's baggage train. We trudged back to camp much displeased, only to discover two of our practically unarmed scouts had beat us back, after swiping one cash chest! Even the referees hadn't noticed...

>So to bring it back to HW....74 trollkin form into groups and attack
>the fighters, but one has the bright idea of climbing a tree and
>crawling the branches until he can drop down on that tasty looking
>horse. Oh dear, the horse ran away, but this woman looks helpless
>and tasty....

My Yinkini, after scouting out the target stead, hid nearby while the warriors ran off to save the cattle from our raiders. Her intention was to leap on a nearby horse and ride off with it. Unfortunately, the boy sent to ride off to get reinforcements, together with her own total lack of any riding skill, complicated matters...

>I guess what I'm getting at is that if you like playing characters in
>a more supporting role, you don't want to be ignored, but you also
>don't want to always just get thrown into the general fight either.

It is, in my opinion also, essential to have a couple of extra 'tricks' to liven things up.

Now, this load of vampire worshippers my lot are attacking tomorrow...

Wulf