RE: Help I'm lost

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:28:38 +0100

atomikdog2001 asked:

> Is there a place I can go to get a better grasp of the rules and how
> they work?

I'm hoping the forthcoming "Hero's Book" will provide this. Given the elegant streamlining of the HW rule system, I fear it'd be hard to provide a precis that didn't duplicate all the core mechanics!

> I really want to use these rules and feel my group would love them
> if only I were confident in there use.

You can do it! Just stay away from tricky magic (i.e. anything in the last chapter of HW:RiG or the Narrator's Book) or extended contests (my opinion), until you get up to speed at the basics (2d20 resolutions, mastery bumps, enhancements and the like).

HW is *very* empowering for Narrators, because it says there isn't "one true way" of doing anything -- it's always down to your call, based on your dramatic/ storytelling needs (and to a lesser extent the preferences of your gaming group). Consistency of treatment is *not* a particular concern. Which I find refreshing.

Cheers, Nick