Re: God-Talker's "God"

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:00:51 -0700

At 03:27 PM 9/19/2001 -0000, you wrote:
>Heortling god-talkers have the skills "initiate to <god>," and "pray
>to <god>."

I wonder if that ought not actually say <pantheon> to indicate the godi's actual activity?
The godar are responsible for leading all the community services.

>Assuming the typical case of Orlanth and Ernalda where you have the
>great god, aspect, and sub-cult, which of those three replaces <god>?

>For example, a god-talker who follows the Finnovan the Raider sub-
>cult of the Orlanth-Adventurous aspect of Orlanth would have:
Let's remember and say this: he was initiated into:

>a) initiate to Orlanth?

As an adult, they would have been initiated into their socio-religious complex and written it down. this is (I think?) the Pantheon level of the religion, so it's effectively "initiate of the Orlanth and Ernalda religion."

>b) Initiate to Orlanth adventurous?

As a male, he'd have made some choice of Orlanth to focus on, and been initiated into that level, and written this.

>c) Initiate to Finnovan?

As a function member of society he'd have this god as his contact to the divine world, and have written it down upon initiation.

In which case it would be (a) that is most important to his godi function. That is, the godi are responsible for making/helping the most general and widespread functions of leading social sacrifices and making children into adults.

BUT I think that every Orlanthi godi has varying commitments and puts his attention (HPs) into whichever of those that he wants. Certainly the majority of people do what everyone does. And just as certainly, the characters in your story scenario are exceptions (both players and Narrator characters.)
Finally, in my game if someone wanted to use his Mythology of Elmal specialty in some non-Elmal story I would certainly allow it, with modifiers. Remember that the Elmali (and everyone) spends plenty of time in the communal ceremonies, and if he is active may be playing out his deity's own part in those stories (even if he is just one of the many unnamed followers or thunder followers.) I would allow the skill to be used even when leading pantheon-related sacrifices. He would do "the Elmal version" of the sacrifice.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>