Re: Re: Dropping Action Points

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 20:07:24 -0400

At 05:37 PM 04/17/2000 -0400, TTrotsky_at_... wrote:
>Graham Robinson:
><<So myself and my player have been experimenting with using a series of
>simple contests instead of a single extended contest.>>
>
> On the face of it, I'd say that something like this is the best way to
>'fix' the system. The most obvious problem with it (at least to me) is that
>in the existing rules weapons and armour are only differentiated using APs. I
>suppose one could make them apply a penalty or bonus to the combat roll, but
>that still doesn't feel quite right to me. How (if at all) did you get round
>this?

I'm not ready to abandon extended contests yet (though one of my players is), but I've been thinking about it.

Here is a suggestion: Use a body ability (as already suggested by a few, including Michael Cule). Use the net edge values of weapon vs. armor to modify the number of "wounds".

Frex: Using a greatsword :5 vs. composite armor and shield :3 gives a net edge 2 to the sword wielder. If the sword wielder attacks the composite armor wearer in a simple contest, he does "damage" in the following fashion (according to the defeat level of the armor wearer):

Marginal Defeat: -2 (nothing plus edge)
Minor Defeat: -3 (-1 plus edge)
Major Defeat: -50%+ -2
Complete: Death (optionally an additional -2 on any attempt to heal)

This makes armor and weapons a lot more dangerous and still allows berserker to use their edge in simple contests. Augmentation still works normally and "lending AP" acts as augmentation.

The more I look at this, the more I wonder which way the next game session goes. I still think that AP/extended contests allow lucky streaks to have a great effect.

Thanks,
Andy