Re: Re: Increasing Wealth

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:39:52 +0100 (BST)

Tim Ellis:
> Well not if you try to come up with hard and fast rules, no. It does
> if you say "...And you all get an increase of 1W as a result..." and
> someone pipes up "but why does my wealth only go from 5 to 6 while
> theirs goes from 18 to 19?" At this point you point out that it is
> easier to turn $1000 into $2000 than $1 into $2 (especially if you
> have to eat out of it at the same time) - and that mopmey attracts
> money...

That's a little clunky, though, in terms of trying to characterise an amount of cash/treasure/raided goods in terms of a "wealth increment", for exactly the reason you're trying to finesse here. This is known in some circles as the "DC Heroes effect", or, "Isn't it remarkably clumsy to use a logarithmic scale for quantities than are most commonly added rather than multiplied?"

> Exactly. That's why questions like "How much wealth does raiding
> three cows get me" are extremely difficult to answer!

But the thing is, "You see three cows." "I abscond with them at considerable velocity." is a lot more descriptively direct and evocative than "After your raid on the Venyr clan, and your wise investments on the Boldhome futures exchange, you get a net +2 wealth". In this case, abstraction (and funky modelling) is the enemy of useful description.