Re: More on Wealth

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 20:25:45 -0000

Yep. Or turning it into more powerful magicial items. Our D&D3d group is finding that the Fighters and Rogues are paying for the Wizards and Clerics to build magic items for them and they Wizards and  Clerics are then using that money to either scribe spells or donate to the church.

But for all those who read Player vs Player Online, a very good oneline comic, they have a t-shirt that reads: I spent all my loot on Ale and Whores. Very appropriate for the non-cemented benifit in HW.

> Yep. If your coming back with a load of cash/cows whatever then you
> might as well make them work for you. Spread them around your
friends
> and clan-mates and they'll appreciate you so much more...

Generosity IS a Kingly Virtue. I wouldn't follow a leader who's not generous. And when the Hero Wars get going, most PC hero bands will effectively be 'followers' of one of the Argraths (or some other leader type) -- or perhaps collectively, an Argrath themselves.

> > > 3) Cement them as items on the Character Sheet (spending HP to
add
> > > them to your sheet).
> >
> > I believe it also says you can convert the value of the items into
> > wealth and then cement 1/10 of that onto your permanent wealth
> > category for 1 HP.
>
> That's really (2) though - converting them into cash

I think there were specific rules to simply add to one's Wealth (I prefer to think of on-hand cash as wwealth and overall goods and resrouces as 'resources' but that's just local colour. I'd like to thank Dave Dunham for the idea. Its served me well.

> > If they are magical or somehow 'funky' items, they
> > have to be cemented to say. If they are just things like a chain
> > shirt or the like, they do not _require_ being cemented.
> >

> This is true, and, in light of the gold torc issue adds another
> dimension...
>
> You find a (non-magical) Gold Torc on an adventure and at the end of
> the session spend no HP on cementing it/converting it to cash, Come
> the start of the next session do you still have it?
> (a) No, you didn't "pay" to keep it

If its a singular item, I'd let the hero hang onto it. BUT he may lose it in a craps game or playing mumbledey peg with his uncle. Easy come, easy go.

> (b) Yes, but it makes no difference to your wealth since you spent
> it's notional value celebrating your safe return

That's cool.

> (c) Maybe, You gave it to your Clan Chief/Warband Leader but he
> probably gave it back to you.

At which point you've cemented it.

> (d) Yes, for now, although the GM can take it off you at any stage,
> since you didn't pay for it
> (e) something else
>
> If you converted your loot to "Permanent wealth" then you might
still
> be in posession of the torc itself, since someone who can afford to
> wear a gold torc is obviously safe to lend money to, since if he
> defaults, you can take the torc...

Yep! I'd probably use whichever of a-d that felt best. However, if a hero used it to increase his wealth, that'd be cementing it. Your idea of using it as a symbolic representation of wealth is a very good one.

> > Generosity, afterall, is a kingly virtue.
> >
> And is another trait you could "buy up" by giving away your loot!

Oh yes! And piety. And Relationships. Of course, that would either serve as a way of bringing an expense 'in game' -- you're sacrificing some of your hard earned loot or, if it was a very cool thing, give you a few free directed HP (Usually 2. That way the hero either buys up 2 at +1 or spends an extra HP and makes it 1 at +2)

But as I said, I run a fairly casual game.

Jeff