RE: Re: HQ questions

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:07:19 +0100

Tim writes:
>> *1 The "regular" worship services ... are heroquests and I agree
>> with Greg's point that the bulk of the community act as the faceless
>> followers/redshirts

> Yes. During the Sacred time when (orlanthi) everyone participates in
> the Lightbringers quest, most of the particpants are the faceless
> followers/observers.

Yes, but when a Sartarite clan performs its annual Shorter Lightbringers' Pilgrimage ritual, the chief and his ring members take on the roles of Orlanth, Chalana Arroy, Lhankor Mhy, etc. Not "faceless followers", even though this is a less potent form of the LBQ than the Sheng-saving, God-bothering stuff Argrath or Harmast get up to.

If I understand his posts correctly, Greg has been suggesting that minor "worship" heroquests have a different cast of protagonists to major "world-transforming" heroquests. This seems inherently wrong to me. If any old Sartarite clan can run a LBQ, and every wannabe Wind Lord runs a tougher LBQ, and Argrath or Harmast go on the Toughest Possible LBQ, it still seems to me that each of these quests has one quester being "Orlanth" and encountering appropriately-scaled resistance. (Clan-ring level for clans; disciple-level for Wind Lords; god-level for Argrath).

> Every time a female warrior proves her place in the warband, or the
> raiding party she is re-enacting "Vinga joins the Thunderbrothers" on
> some level, even if none of the participants ever leave the "mundane"
> world at all.

I agree completely. Which is to say, she isn't being a "faceless follower of Vinga", even if she's doing it at less-than-Vinga level.

Cheers, Nick