Re: Dropping APs

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:47:03 EDT

Andrew Dawson:

<< Here is a suggestion: Use a body ability (as already suggested by a few, including Michael Cule). Use the net edge values of weapon vs. armour to modify the number of "wounds".>>

     Yes, that was rather similar to my own suggestion of 'wound levels'. It requires the use of a predefined ability, which HW is notably devoid of, but I don't see that as a bad thing.

Roderick:

<<*Any* rules that require you to throw dice to resolve actions allows "lucky
>streaks to have a great effect".>>

     Sure, and I've got nothing against that myself. In HW, though, a combat can become particularly long with lucky rolling, because APs can go up as well as down. Whether longer combats is a good or a bad thing is very much a matter of taste, though.

<<This system gives you (the player) no control on the combat after the decision to attack/don't attack.>>

     You still get to use any augmentations etc. and to make decisions of that kind, but generally I think that's a valid point. Its a loss I'm prepared to put up with, myself, though fans of APs would obviously disagree!

Dave Bailey:

    << Damage is also a standard contest using say Strength (+ AP affecting bonuses) vs Body ( or size or bulk.......). Include armour and weapon values here too.>>

      This requires a second opposed dice roll, which I'm somewhat wary of, as my intent is rather to reduce the number of those.

     <<Allow transfer of "skill" between combat and damage skills. So lets say you have combat at 5w and a standard default body of 13 you could go for an all out attack with an attack roll of 17w but if you loose you'd be using 1 body to resist damage.>>

     That's an interesting idea, which might compensate for the loss of the 'control' that APs give you.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky