Re: Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:15:38 +0100 (BST)

> However your basic point is a sound one: Never add two abilities,
> always augment one with another.

Well, being as unwild about the augment rules as I am, I wouldn't quite say that, as they give flakey results in places too. (But still closer than directly adding...)

> Taking this way back up the thread to quest challenges, I think the
> obvious solution is that if you are challenging for an ability you
> already have, you still get a new ability.
>
> Say you have close combat 6W2, and in a quest challenge you defeat a
> troll death-lord, wagering your close combat against his close combat
> 10W2. Rather than adding the two abilities (giving you CC 16W4,
> clearly broken), or adding one fifth (giving a more reasonable 16W2),
> I think you should gain "death lord combat". You would also add the
> death lord's close combat combetencies (mace, club, etc) to your own,
> should you not already have them.

Hrm. I sense the "broad abilities" ruck and maul all over again... But it'd be one solution, just one that I think would cause more playerly pouting, essentially unnecessarily.

> However, I don't really see what is wrong with the current HW
> approach of looking at multiple attackers/defenders, and adding up
> AP? I thought that was one of the mechanisms that bugged people quite
> little?

APs are nicely additive, that works fine. It's adding TNs that's tricky. What's the correct "collective rating" for ten 14 guys? 14/140 undervalues them a little. What's the correct collective rating for those chaps, plus their 10W3 leader? 10W3/210 overvalues them significantly...

> > Wealth is an exception, because you actually *need* a simulationist
> rule for
> > it, and some method of translating the TN into accountancy.
>
> *need*???? A lot of people seem to be playing the game without such
> a think without great difficulty. Perhaps "....because if you feel
> you *need* a simulationist rule for it....." would be a better
> phrasing?

Personally I think it's less a matter of giving a a simulationist rule for it -- if you want to go that way, simply ditch wealth ratings entirely. It's rather a matter of: _understanding_ what the wealth ratings mean in game world terms a little more clearly; and secondly, of providing mechanical support for when something _major_ happens to your wealth. (Like you have wealth 10W, someone gifts you 2W "worth" of cattle. Supposing you choose to cement this, how much should it be "worth"?)