Re: Increasing abilities [was: Wealth]

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:47:10 -0000

Benedict Adamson wrote:

> I have the suspicion that that particular house rule is due to me. I
> am not so sure the rule is a good one, however. I was rather hoping
> someone could suggest a better one.

Don't worry I wasn't planning on handing buidling golden nuggets any time soon :-)

Well I'm happy with it for items that are abilities with a 'special effect' of being an item. In this case the provision of a large block of gold is either irresponsible, or intended to advance the story in particular direction.

For example, our heroes are about to join the Mitchuinn tribal king for the year as warriors, entertainers. So I will probably up everyone's wealth back up from poor to common or prosperous to reflect your new living standard. Same as it was dropped by Charles when we were outlawed.

The heroes wealth seems much more an artefact of the story I want to tell than anything else. Yes, it gives you an ability rating, but your ability to influence others is because of a position you have earned as part of the story.

Of course some heroes may want to be wealthier than others by spending HP after adventures to cement material benefits.

Ian Cooper