Re: Increasing abilities [was: Wealth]

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:47:28 -0000

Benedict Adamson wrote:
> My point, and I think Julian's point, is that it is unclear how to
implement the narrative motif of slaying-a-dragon-to-marry-the- princess.

IMO I would say that winning the dragon's hoard is part of the story and as such the narrator looks at the living standard chart, picks a wealth that he thinks fits your new standard of living and increases your wealth as appropriate. He may not even charge you HPs (I probably wouldn't because, of course, I might take it wawy again). This is not a 'hero gets to improve at end of episode' increase but a narrative change in circumstance. Smaller victories were wealth is tested or gained can be handled by HP increases.

The same may also work for magic items. Some are new abilites that can be bought with a hero point, but have a special effect.

Others are one of a kind high ability items that the narrator inserts because they are part of the story. Again they may even be free, because the narrator can just take them away again.

But YYMV.

The question may arise What is an appropriate increase in wealth. That is I guess why some people want a table. I'm happy to go by the cultural information. We know that a carl has 42 cows, a plough team and stead and is probably prosperous. Again YMMV.

Ian Cooper