Re: Re: lies, damn lies and statistics

From: Charles MIALARET <charles.mialaret_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:19:52 +0200

Graham J Robinson a �crit:

> However, the guy who is going to lose should nearly always bid 1. Why?
> Because that way he stays in the contest longer, vastly increasing the
> chances that someone else will come and rescue him.

Well, then try to picture what a bid of one is given that a standard orlanthi get a 17. I guess that in most systems you can have players doing delaying actions/ runing from the fight.
I've seen RQ players very found of mobility spells, running most of the fights and shooting an arrow once
in a while.

I personally like the AP system as a good modelisation of the fencing film actions (XVI/XVII centuries
e.g. 4 musketeers) with the tides of the fights ... as well as samurai like fights where the fight is focused on the delivery of the one blow.

Any system requires a period of addaptation for the GM and the players so that both can get the Maximum Game Fun.

May be you could make your player describe the amount they bid in real words, and remind them what the orlanthi virtues are. Make a virtue check from time to time, see if your player like to get the

cautious 19 or coward 19 traits. But then, when faced with overpowering enemies, there is no dishonor to play
delaying actions and to wait for the right time. Finaly, if your players want to play cowardly stick pickers,
may be you can addapt your campaign.

Charles