Re: Re: cementing; ease of use

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:10:38 +0100

bethexton_at_... wrote:
> Also, a starting rating of 12 could reflect many things:
[some game world explanations of what a rating of 12 might mean when the item is powerful in the game world]. ...

All well and good. But what if the Narrator WANTS the possibility of cementing a powerful item.

> I can think of few situation where a narrator would simply say "Here,
> Byrgi Bent-Bow, have Excaliber, yes you can cement it for one hero
> point, now you own it and can use it and everyone believes you are
> the legitimate holder."

Sure, you would not want some simple Carl to cement Excalibur for 1 HP. But HW is meant to be scalable. You might not object to Argrath cementing Excalibur for 1 HP. And that is the core of my concern: allowing cementing of any item for 1 HP breaks when low power characters cement powerful items (goodbye game balance), but cementing with a rating of 12 for 1 HP breaks when high power characters want to cement items (why bother).

And please, no 'Narattor decides' responses. A Carl cementing Excalibur (or Stormbringer) is an extreme example that starkly illuminates the problem. The problem is just as present with milder examples.