Re: Re: Wergilds

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:58:15 +0100

> From: Nick_at_...
>
>Writing without access to Thunder Rebels, but based on recent discussion:
>if an >average Heortling carl owns 42 cows and has a wergild of 25 cows,
>we know that >wergild for the most common social class is less than "pure"
>property. (The >carl of course has a "Wealth" greater than 42 cows -- he
>does have other >possessions).

I don't agree with the premise that an average carl owns 42* cows worth of stuff. That's what they have to _show_ they can muster to be a carl (plough team etc.). Balance that with the certainty that they do not have sole ownership (bloodline etc.) and that they have debts (cattle loans from uncles clan ring members and so forth) and the figure is probably much lower.

Thom

Thom