becoming a Hero

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:06:21 -0000

In the vein of my previous powergaming thoughts and inspired by the (very ambiguous) disciple rules and a discussion on the HeroWars list about 6 months ago regarding the foundation of Jonstown...

Just reaching heroic ability ratings does not make a capital-H Hero. The hero must create some mechanism to distribute the benefits of their heroic abilities. My idea is the potential Hero should create a magical organisation with himself as the wyter, using some variation of the Foundation ritual used to create a new clan. The initial members of the community would be his followers but afterwards anyone could join.

This would obviously cost large numbers of hero points. 1 each for the hero and each of his followers to join the community. Many more for the foundation ritual itself.

The benefits for the hero are community support for his actions, automatic access to their otherworld and a place to call their own there.

The benefits for the followers would be a cult that teaches a single feat related to the heroic ability of the Hero. I suspect that this feat would be limited to a maximum of the hero's ability less 1 mastery.

The above is thought out mainly from Heortling point of view. Each culture has different drives and goals that influence why and how someone becomes a Hero. For Malkioni, the benefits are a Node on either the Saint plane or Adept plane and the avoidance of age. For Lunars, becomming a Hero is a step on the way to godhood.

Any thoughts?

regards,
Charles